Wednesday, February 29, 2012

the new french fry

I don't know about you and your gang, but me and my gang (read: my gang is hardly a gang, but it sounded cool) love our homemade fries. We love them so much that they are pretty much guaranteed for eatin' every week.

I justify that this is ok (and healthy) because we buy fresh potatoes (organic, of course) and we bake them (in olive oil, salt and pepper) versus frying! Mighty tasty...and somewhat healthy fries? Can you at least give me the 'somewhat' part?!



Ok, so maybe I'm just in fry heaven denial, but it's becoming a hard habit to break. And instead of completely giving up fries (per se), I subbed in a new fry-friendly veg that does the same duty - if you can't beat the fries, then join them! These 'fries' make the same fry shape and are pretty much the same colour. Intrigued? I hope so. Or maybe you're just yelling at me through the screen to stop using the word 'fry.' Can't guarantee it, but I'll try. ;)

Side note: when I typed the title of this post, for some reason, it made me think of 'the new fry in town,' kinda like the 'new sheriff in town.' Don't ask - I'm overtired and pretty much wanted an excuse to put Toy Story in my post.



Rutabaga Fries

by Char
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins



Ingredients 1 - 2 servings (depending on how hungry you are!)
  • 1/2 rutabaga (or other root vegetable like parsnip), peeled and cut into fry form
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • a few tbsp of oil (canola or olive)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F.
Peel and cut rutabaga (or other root vegetable) into fry-like pieces
Combine 'fries' with spices, canola oil and salt and pepper in a bowl.
Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

How to eat them?
Dip them in ketchup (which I did). Eat them plain (which I did). Eat all of them (whiiiiich I did).

And just to make things 'fun,' make your ketchup into a smiley.




8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:51 pm

    These look great!! I will def put them on my to make list! Ivmade your vegan peanut stir fry for my sisters last week and they loved it!!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, Ellen!!! I LOVE that recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that looks pretty amazing! I've been on a big fry kick, but I haven't tried doing up rutabaga. Sounds like a great swap though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's loving fries! Ya, I thought it was a good switch - even just for a new taste!!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to try rutabagas now...I don't think I've ever tried them like..ever.
    You have inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an embarrassing story for why I even thought to try to eat one in the first place. Maybe I'll save that for another time though haha

      Delete
  5. these look so yummy! I'll have to try that. We've been making sweet potato fries like no ones bizzNazz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make you a swap because I'd love some sweet potato fries!! ;)

      Delete